Friday, July 29, 2005

State Street

I have now seen enough of State Street in Santa Barbara to last me a lifetime. In the past forty-two hours, I have walked up and down this avenue of restaurants, bars, expensive furniture stores, and chic clothing boutiques at least ten times. There are at least five homeless street performers per block providing unsolicited music, a Starbucks on every third corner, and eastern themed shops with statues of the Buddha sprinkled throughout.

I picked up a copy of The Pump House Gang by Tom Wolfe at the Borders. This was quite a cool Borders: three stories of paperbacks and a healthy selection of mystery novels. Then it was off to the thrift store to browse the donated paperbacks. This thrift store held true to the rule of thrift store book selection. It was heavy on worn copies of bestselling murder mysteries and Tom Clancy novels. Picked up Elmore Leonard's Pagan Babies. I hope to get further in Don Quixote this week, so I'll sign off.

No comments: