"The boy's mother...opened the lid and was hit by the smell of tequila and Triple Sec. The toddler grew drowsy and started vomiting a few hours later and was rushed to the hospital."
"Applebee's Vice President Randy Tei said the restaurant keeps apple juice and the premixed margarita concoction in identical-looking plastic bottles on ice behind the bar. A manager on duty mistakenly grabbed the margarita bottle instead of the apple juice jug, Tei said."
"It will no longer keep the juice and margarita mix in similar-looking containers, Tei said."
Now this is all fine and good, (unless you're the puking baby), but what I'm wondering is why didn't the manager smell the tequilla and triple sec? And does Applebee's premix its margaritas? The only way the manager could have made this mistake would be if the margarita was premixed in the bottle. But Applebee's have full bars in their restaurants. I'm not suggesting that the manager intentionally mixed a margarita for the kid, but one could imagine this manager looking around for some apple juice, not finding any--is apple juice even on the Applebee's menu?--and just grabbing the margarita mix. Wait, if according to Applebee's, "It will no longer keep the juice and margarita mix in similar-looking containers, Tei said," then how the hell did the alcohol got in the drink? Why didn't the manager merely pour a virgin margarita? (The mother said she smelled the alcohol).
That's it! The manager must have mixed in the alcohol, or the AP reporter was lazy and misquoted.....